Former FIFA executive committee member Vernon Manilal Fernando plans to appeal his eight-year ban from football.
In a statement issued by his lawyers on Wednesday, Fernando said he was “naturally disappointed” with the suspension announced by FIFA on Tuesday and still hadn’t been told what provisions of the ethics code he’d breached.
“Mr. Fernando … is confident that he will clear his name. He is prepared to take this matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport,” Nithi Murugesu and Associates said in a statement.
Harsha Abeykoon, a spokesman for Sri Lanka’s sports ministry, said two committees had already been set up to investigate alleged financial and administrative irregularities in the Sri Lanka Football Federation.
Reports in Sri Lanka have alleged misspending of football development and disaster relief funds following the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Ocean.