Making an open statement to the courts Gunasundaram Jeyasundaram a onetime LTTE supporter and arms procurer said that he profoundly regretted supporting the LTTE leader and denounced him and his violent behavior, sad the ministry of Defense
G. Jeyasundaram was taken into custody by the Terrorist Investigations Division on 05th September 2007. Investigations had revealed that he had contacts with the slain terrorist leader from his school days and had procured weapons for the terrorist outfit. The Irish passport holder had even purchased a ship for the terrorists. He had on many occasions direct contact with terrorist leaders including Soosai, Thamilselvam, Nadesan and many others. The incriminating evidence was found from his laptop recovered during the time of his arrest.
Appearing at the Supreme Court on 10th May 2013, and making a statement he voluntarily pleaded guilty for the charges against him. The case no 6473/2013 was taken up on the 10th where charges against him were read out in Tamil. The Court was adjourned till 16th May with the accused voluntarily disclosing his willingness to undergo rehabilitation. State prosecutors will study the possibility of bringing amendments to the charges in order for him to undergo the rehabilitation process.
Making the statement Jeyasundaram said that terrorists’ are the worst violators of human rights. Today these terrorist leaders are masquerading as human right champions. He urged all the people and the remaining LTTE groups to cease to support any more separatist agendas in Sri Lanka.
Appealing for the total non involvement in any LTTE activities he urged others in his community especially those living abroad to denounce all violence and reject extremist ideologies and embrace the new peaceful Sri Lanka.
He requested the LTTE factions abroad, V.Rudrakumaran in the US, father SJ Emmanuel in the UK, and Perinpanayagam Sivaparan, Alias Nediyawan in Norway to immediately cease their actions as they are doing more harm to the Tamil community living in Sri Lanka.
The full text of Gunasundaram Jeyasundaram’s statement to the Supreme Court.
I would like to make the following statement to the court:
1. I maintained contact throughout with LTTE leader Veillupillai Prabhakaran from his school days, visited him in Vanni and actively supported his terrorism organization.
2. I met Sea Tiger’s leader Soosai, Political Leader Thamilselvam, chief of police Nadeshan, International leader Castro, and Financial Leader Tamilendi on several occasions.
3. I carried out propaganda for and on behalf of the LTTE.
4. I met sea tiger Sammugasundaram Kaanthaaskaran Alias Karan who was conducting LTTE terrorist activities in London and Kanagaraj Ravi Shankar who was a captain of an LTTE ship used for transporting illegal weapons, several times from 2003 to 2007 and communicated with them on further LTTE related activities. I am willing to disclose all that I know these individuals.
5. I purchased Maritime Warfare Support Equipment from 2003 to 2007, which was used by LTTE during the war.
6. I delivered the above mentioned “Maritime Warfare Support Equipment” to Vanni illegal LTTE vessels.
7. I operated two companies in Singapore namely Jeyapack and Harrie Merchant which were used to channel funds to and from the LTTE terrorist organization from various foreign countries including but not limited to Switzerland, Canada and Singapore.
8. I purchased a merchant vessel by the name of MV Fenshun 7 through my company Harrie Merchant to be used by LTTE for illegally transporting weapons and ammunition to be used by LTTE.
9. I was once deported from Singapore in 1985 for supporting LTTE terrorist activities.
10. I am profoundly regretful of supporting Prabhakaran in his violence and terrorist agenda. I completely denounce him and his violent extremist methods and encourage all others to do the same. I got carried away because of extreme Tamil nationalism. I do not want the violence he committed ever repeated in Sri Lanka and urge all the people and the remaining LTTE groups out there not to support any more separatist agendas in Sri Lanka.
11. The factions of the LTTE abroad V.Rudrakumaran in the US, father SJ Emmanuel in the UK, and Perinpanayagam Sivaparan, Alias Nediyawan in Norway should immediately cease their actions as they are doing more harm to the Tamil community living in Sri Lanka. Terrorist are the worst violators of human rights. Today these terrorist leaders are masquerading as human right champions. The suffering caused to the Tamil community by the 30 years of war, and on a personal basis, my detention should serve as a lesson to all those overseas and I appeal for the TOTAL non -involvement in any LTTE activities. I encourage you to denounce all violence and urge you to reject any extremist ideologies.
12. I hereby unreservedly renounce any form of violence and I want the restored peace in Sri Lanka to continue and for all communities to live harmoniously. The traditional family values that once existed in our Tamil community need to be reinstated and stressed, especially in the younger generation. The Tamil youth abroad should denounce all LTTE involvement and embrace the new peaceful Sri Lanka.
13. I also admit that I failed to continue the aforementioned facts to the police or any other authorities.
14. I am also willing to undergo a period of rehabilitation and seek the permission of the court to do so, before I reintegrate into society.